British Canoeing Canoe and Kayak Coach (Sheltered Water) Training
The Coach Awards are designed for people whose core function is to coach paddlers who want to gain/improve paddlesport skills within the discipline chosen. This will include coaching beginners new to the sport, or paddlers looking to develop their skills in the given discipline/environment. The coach is able to plan, deliver and review progressive sessions safely, effectively and independently.
The Discipline Specific Training focuses on HOW to coach the discipline specific skills and WHAT you will be coaching. The training explores how to coach technical and tactical skills. The course will help coaches plan and deliver safe, enjoyable, progressive coaching sessions and explore specifics to help coaches coach some typical athletes/learners relevant to you/your discipline.
The syllabus is based on the knowledge, understanding and skills that the coaches need to ensure the athletes/learners in their care are appropriately provided for. This includes:
- assessing athlete/learner performance and needs
- designing and delivering progressive practice/training sessions to meet these needs
- managing safety
- creating an enjoyable motivating learning environment
- skills to support your own personal learning and professional development
- Candidates are required to register with their Home Nation Association at any point on their journey to assessment. It is highly recommended that coaches register early to enable access to the eLearning Coach Award package which provides supportive material and signposting to development opportunities. In order to register, candidates need to hold Home Nation Association membership. There is no expiry date to the registration.
- Candidates will need good knowledge of the discipline(s) they wish to coach as this provides the content of WHAT they will be coaching. The course provider can provide further guidance. Prior to training, boat-based coaches should ensure that their personal skills (and leadership skills) are well practised. This allows them to focus on developing their ‘coaching’, rather than their‘paddling’.
- Core Coach Training (or equivalent)
- Full Home Nation Association Membership
Note: for further information about the new coaching awards please read: https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/courses/coach-award/Equipment and Kit InformationDaily Schedule